The calendar says early April and the air may be warm, but the true sign that spring is here is when “ice out” has been officially declared. That’s when all the ice on Lake Winnipesaukee has broken up enough for boats to navigate. As of this writing (April 3), Ice Out has not yet been declared, but we are expecting the announcement soon. In the meantime, anticipation is building as residents step out to enjoy the spring temperatures and businesses gear up for peak season.
Here are a few fun events and important dates that we have marked on our mid-spring calendar as the region transitions from winter sports to warm-weather activities (please click the hyperlinks for details):
- April 19— Kingswood Golf Club opens: a semi-private, classic Donald Ross (18 hole – par 72) championship course open to the public
- April 20 — The last indoor event for the Wolfeboro Area Farmers’ Market: Located across the street from us at 115 S. Main Street and features at least 12 vendors.organically raised until the outdoor market begins the season on May 23.
- May 1 — Wright Museum of World War II opens: special exhibit for a limited time on Japanese Americans during WWII
- May 3-5 — Barrel Tasting Weekend: Wineries, Breweries, and Distilleries in the Lakes and Mountains Region will be offering guests the opportunity to taste their creations directly from the oak barrels and stainless steel vessels that are used to ferment and age their beverages.
- May 16-19 — Winni Fishing Derby: began in 1980 as an attempt to reduce the number of Landlocked Salmon in Lake Winnipesaukee. This annual event is presented by a partnership of the Laconia Rotary Club and the Daniel Webster Council of the Boy Scouts of America.
- May 18 — M/S Mt. Washington resumes service: 2 1/2 hr. scenic cruise around Lake Winnipesaukee; picks up Saturdays in Wolfeboro until summer schedule begins June 22
- May 23 — Wolfeboro Area Farmers’ Market opens: 12:30-4:30 pm at Clark Park, 233 South Main St. in Wolfeboro
- May 25 — Castle in the Clouds opens: hiking trails are open year-round but the mansion/museum reopens to visitors Memorial Day weekend
Here at Pickering House Inn, we are offering a full calendar of spring dining events — including a very special Mother’s Day Getaway that features a Cooking Demonstration Dinner on May 11 and a delicious Mother’s Day Breakfast with mimosas on May 12th (open to Inn guests only). Be sure to click the button below to see the full schedule:
If you have any questions about what to do during your stay at Pickering House Inn, please don’t hesitate to ask our staff or email us to request a suggested itinerary.