August is starting off with some hot and steamy weather that is just perfect for all kinds of water activities. But we all have days when we just feel like doing something a little different. When you need a break from the sun, here are five great things to do in Wolfeboro this month:
- Craft Beer Festival — The Fifth annual Beveridge Craft Beer Fest is being held on August 13th from noon- 4 pm at Abenaki Ski area. Sip more than 50 brews from New England’s finest breweries. Details are at the beer festival’s Facebook page.
- The Museum Loop — At 9:30 am every Friday (weather permitting) in August, board either the Millie B boat or Molly the Trolley at the Wolfeboro town docks for a narrated tour to The Libby Museum. You’ll return by the opposite means of transport and then you can enjoy the Trolley all day, including entrance to The Boat Museum, and The Wright Museum of WWII and The Clark House Museums (entry fees apply). Call (603) 998-3286 for reservations or learn more at www.nhbm.org/the-museum-loop
- The Clarke House — The Clark House Museum Complex is right down the street from Pickering House Inn and features a newly restored barn that opened to visitors right about the same time that we opened ours for events! The complex includes the Clark House, a 1778 farmhouse that now features period furnishings; a replica of an 1860’s firehouse, complete with horse-drawn and hand-drawn fire pumps; a one-room school house from the early 1800’s; and the new barn, an 1820’s barn from Hampton, NH that was taken apart, transported to the Clark House grounds, and then painstakingly re-created. The barn is full of artifacts, and also home to the Clark House visitor’s center, gift shop, archive and geneology center. The Clark House Museum Complex is open until September 1 on Wednesday through Friday from 10 am – 4 pm and on Saturday from 10 am to 2 pm. Visit the Wolfeboro Historical Society website for details.
- Yoga at Castle in the Clouds — Castle in the Clouds in Moultonborough is one of our favorite places. You can easily spend a full day exploring the property, enjoying fine dining, hiking and more. On Wednesdays at 6 pm through August 29, Castle in the Clouds is now offering evening yoga classes! An experienced local yoga instructor leads a class suitable for all levels and ages. Learn more at the Castle in the Clouds website.
- Model Yacht Regatta — People in Wolfeboro are passionate about their boats — both the ones they can ride and the ones that are remote-controlled. Whether you are a model boat aficionado or just curious to see the sight, you’ll get a kick out of the model yacht races held in the Back Bay off of the Bridge Falls walking path in downtown Wolfeboro on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1-4 p.m. Learn more at the Boat Museum’s Model Yachting web page.